Thursday, May 15, 2014
Why Freakonimics?
Going into this assignment, I was confident in the style of book I wanted to read. I was at the time reading two other books The Three Musketeers, by Alexandre Dumas, and Blood Red Sunset by Ma Bo, and I wanted a book that deviated from the historical aspect and went more into the theoretical realm. My interest was at first piqued by the autobiography of Malcolm X, but I could not find it, and I was not interested enough to pursue it further. So then, I scoured the list of potential books, and came upon Freakonomics. The book that has sold over 4 million copies worldwide took the world by storm, and by 2014, almost every person has at least heard of the book. Written by Steven Levitt, a professor at the University of Chicago, and Stephen Dubner, a less prestigious author this book took the world by storm, and completely flipped upside-down many basic assumptions about our world. I had previously heard about this book, and had watched a part if the documentary that succeeded its success, but I had not read, so I felt it was about time I joined the masses and read this book. After reading only a small section of the book, I can say that it has me hooked. Within the first 24 pages, Levitt, and Dubner, have made attacked many set notions about our world, which made me excited to read on. I hope to fill this blog with interesting thoughts, which have been stated in ten blogs before this one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We both had similar methods when approaching the obstacle of choosing a book to read. I was also interested in another book, but finally settles on Man's Search for Meaning, a book that has sold more than 10 million copies worldwide. I figured a book praised so extensively around the world was worth my time. Our choice process was also similar, because we both had some previous knowledge on the subject.
ReplyDeleteIn my book selection, I also had a different book in mind as my first choice before opting for "Imagine." Like you, I was looking for something that related to my interests, in my case food and health. When I actually found my book, I was immediately turned off. I reviewed the list once more and was drawn to a book that has been very popular within recent years and was given good reviews by Mr. Costello.
ReplyDelete